[syslog-ng]logrotate question (not working with syslog-ng)...

Peter J. Holzer syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:49:31 +0200

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

On 2003-04-10 16:45:16 +1000, Frank Crawford wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 16:40, seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> > Thanks.  From your info it sounds like it would make more
> > sense to just replace /etc/logrotate.d/syslog with
> > a modified version *or* /etc/logrotate.d/syslog-ng if that
> > would work.

The latter, I think. /etc/logrotate.d/syslog belongs to the sysklogd
package and syslog-ng should be a replacement for sysklogd.

> 	Yes, as long as there was only one file that referred to the log
> files.  Otherwise both would try to rotate them and confuse most people
> later.

Right. However IMHO only one of the packages should be installed at any
time (although I realize that some would like to use klogd with
syslog-ng, but that's a different matter), so the "double rotation"
shouldn't be a problem in a sane installation. Relying on the
configuration file of an alternative package to provide log rotation
seems much more problematic and confusing to me.

	hp

--=20
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Latein ist das humanoide =C4quivalent
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | zu Fortran.
| |   | hjp@hjp.at         |
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- Alexander Bartolich in at.linux

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw--