[syslog-ng]logrotate question (not working with syslog-ng)...

Frank Crawford syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
10 Apr 2003 13:50:27 +1000

Chris,
	First off, this is for Red Hat Linux 8.0, with logrotate 3.6.5,
although I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed much for a long, long time.

	The logrotate.conf file loads in a bunch of specific config files from
the directory /etc/logrotate.d, including one specifically for syslog.
The syslog config rotates all the standard log files for Red Hat Linux
and then as a postrotate line of:

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
true

and so just follows the file syslogd.pid.

	So, to answer your questions, yes you can modify the syslogd file, but
upgrades to logrotate may well put back the original file.

	Secondly, putting in a soft link will work, but I've seen some cleanup
scripts remove lots of things on boot (e.g. Solaris uses a memfs, so it
all goes away anyway), and secondly, unless you remove the symlink file,
it will be left pointing to nothing when syslog-ng is shutdown (since I
think syslog-ng does remove it's pid file).

Frank