chroot and hostname resolution problem [was : Re: [syslog-ng]centralized

Gregor Binder gbinder@sysfive.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:37:18 +0100

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 05:53:41PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> Guillaume LACHENAL writes:

Hi,

> > doing 'strace /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start', I can't find something
> > strange,

I don't know about Linux/strace, but on most systems, you would have
to use an option to the tracing utility to trace calls of child
processes. Looks to me like you are tracing the shell process only.

Try to run the syslog-ng BINARY from strace, and look for problems
like Ed suggested.

> > Is there someone who is running a chrooted syslog-ng running under a
> > non root user as a log collector without any (hostname resolution) problem
> > ?
> I am - but I have "use_dns(no)" in my config.

Same here. I don't see any technical reason why this wouldn't work,
unless you are missing resolv libraries (e.g. on Solaris) or
supplementary configuration files in the jail.

Gregor.