chroot and hostname resolution problem [was : Re: [syslog-ng]centralized

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:53:41 -0500 (EST)

Guillaume LACHENAL writes:

> can't find ktrace

Ah, you must be using Linux.  Should have said that up front.

> doing 'strace /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start', I can't find something
> strange,

Look for "file not found" errors or anything else related to file
access.

> Is there someone who is running a chrooted syslog-ng running under a
> non root user as a log collector without any (hostname resolution) problem
> ?

I am - but I have "use_dns(no)" in my config.

How about posting the log - make sure there is no private information
in it.  If it's too huge put it up on the web somewhere and post the
URL to the list.