[syslog-ng]lost logs when using syslog-ng on Linux due to /dev/log reopen

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Tue, 28 May 2002 17:55:10 +0200

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 05:08:03PM +0400, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

> > Use unix-stream() source instead of unix-dgram(), and don't use klogd.
> >
> > libc correctly uses both /dev/log devices, and programs which use
> openlog()
> > work.
> >

> thank you. I could reliably reproduce this problem actually so I am not
> sure if it is really caused by syslog-ng (and not by servers in
> question).
>
> Because I do not want to lose klogd functionality I currently use
>
> source sys      { unix-stream ("/dev/log"); file
> ("/var/lib/syslog-ng/klogdpipe" log_prefix ("kernel: ")); internal(); };
>
> where /var/lib/syslog-ng/klogdpipe is FIFO. That was actually a reason
> for a fifo vs. pipe question :-)

you don't really need klogd anymore. ksymoops is a lot better than anything
klogd ever performed.

so let the oops go to your syslog and analyize it with ksymoops, instead of
relying on klogd on this functionality.