[syslog-ng]lost logs when using syslog-ng on Linux due to /dev/log reopen

Borsenkow Andrej Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru
Tue, 28 May 2002 17:08:03 +0400

> Use unix-stream() source instead of unix-dgram(), and don't use klogd.
>
> libc correctly uses both /dev/log devices, and programs which use
openlog()
> work.

thank you. I could reliably reproduce this problem actually so I am not
sure if it is really caused by syslog-ng (and not by servers in
question).

Because I do not want to lose klogd functionality I currently use

source sys      { unix-stream ("/dev/log"); file
("/var/lib/syslog-ng/klogdpipe" log_prefix ("kernel: ")); internal(); };

where /var/lib/syslog-ng/klogdpipe is FIFO. That was actually a reason
for a fifo vs. pipe question :-)

regards

-andrej