[syslog-ng]remote logging and logfile naming

Gregor Binder gb@rootnexus.net
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:50:12 +0100

Christian Hammers on Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:23:40PM +0100:

Christian,

> Can I get syslog to write the first "proxy" as FQDN just as the last
> string without changing the normal OS hostname (uname -n)?
> (I mean it's a *host*name, so use_fqdn(on) should add the domain name
> itself)

as long as you keep_hostname(yes), your hosts will have to specify the
FQDN in the log message, which they'll do when hostname is set to FQDN.

You can keep_hostname(no), but then their has to be some kind of
mechanism to resolve the FQDN. DNS should work fine and do what you want
if you turn off keep_hostname().

Cheers,

--
 ____ ____
/  _/| -  >  Gregor Binder <gb@(rootnexus.net|sysfive.com)>
| / || _\ \
\__ Id: 0xE2F31C4B Fp: 8B8A 5CE3 B79B FBF1 5518 8871 0EFB AFA3 E2F3 1C4B