[syslog-ng]Logging Remotely from Solaris to Linux Update

Ron Braley [email protected]
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:21:37 -0500

Bradley -

Thanks very much for the information!

Ron Braley
Network Team Leader - CCNP
Systems Team Leader - MCSE, CNE
University of North Dakota (Aerospace College)
[email protected]
701-777-2964 (work) / 2940 (fax)

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:22:15AM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:36:06AM -0500, Ron Braley wrote:
> > Hi Bazsi
> >
> > Here's an update and continued question:  Everything seems to be
> > when syslogging remotely from the Solaris box to the Linux box
> > that cron priorities of debug - critical don't get sent (just
> > Also, Solaris and Linux boxes alike won't send daemon priorities
> > or information messages to the log host.
> this might be caused by the different facility codes between linux
> solaris. Syslog-ng uses the codes of the host operating system it
> compiled on. Maybe a feature to map facility codes would be useful.

Usually I just a bunch of #defines in syslog-names.c and slap the
facilities on sl_facilities[].

I only ever bother with this on our loghost, but it is very useful.
Linux, Solaris, Irix, and BSD are all a little bit different, and it
is handy to be able to handle various faculities correctly.

For example I handle the Linux/BSD authpriv, auth, and the BSD only
"security" facilities the same, but my loghost runs Solaris and
know about the other two facility by default.

Having this built in so I can define it in a configuration file would
be sweet!  But I am looking more for an index than a map (or maybe that
what you meant by map).

What I'd like is something like:
(9<<3)  -> CRON		/* !Sun */
(11<<3) -> FTP		/* Linux */
(12<<3) -> NTP		/* BSD */
(13<<3) -> AUDIT	/* Irix */
(13<<3) -> SECURITY	/* BSD */
(15<<3) -> CRON		/* Sun */
   __o		Bradley Arlt				Security Team
 _ \<_		[email protected]			University Of
(_)/(_) 	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~arlt/	Computer

syslog-ng maillist  -  [email protected]