[syslog-ng]Logging Remotely from Solaris to Linux Update

Ron Braley braley@aero.und.edu
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:55:00 -0500

OK Bazsi - thanks again for everything.

rb

Ron Braley
Network Team Leader - CCNP
Systems Team Leader - MCSE, CNE
University of North Dakota (Aerospace College)
braley@aero.und.edu
701-777-2964 (work) / 2940 (fax)

>>> bazsi@balabit.hu 06/04/02 02:22AM >>>
On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:36:06AM -0500, Ron Braley wrote:
> Hi Bazsi
>
> Here's an update and continued question:  Everything seems to be
fine
> when syslogging remotely from the Solaris box to the Linux box
except
> that cron priorities of debug - critical don't get sent (just emerg).

> Also, Solaris and Linux boxes alike won't send daemon priorities
debug
> or information messages to the log host.

this might be caused by the different facility codes between linux and
solaris. Syslog-ng uses the codes of the host operating system it was
compiled on. Maybe a feature to map facility codes would be useful.

> New problem:  We need to send logs from our Cisco 2511 access router
> and 6509 switch/router to the Linux log host, but it's not working.
> I've set logging facility and host from the Cisco devices, but they
> don't get logged on the log host.  Any ideas or advise?
>
> As always:  Thanks much for all your help!!

I'm not experienced in setting up routers to log remotely, though I'm
sure
many of us on this list do this regularly.

PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C 0944 9CFD 804E C82C
8EB1