[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng digest, Vol 1 #612 - 6 msgs

wireless wireless@wlink.com.np
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:16:55 +0545

Dear Krishna,
Seems that there is conflict in your installation.
To install syslog-ng I recommend that u first install the libol.
get the libol tar.gz file from the http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/downloads/
. Choose suitable one. After installing the libol, proceed with the
syslog-ng installation.
Any difficulties? Do write it in again.

Best Regards,
Anup Sainju
WorldLink Communications
Kathmandu Nepal
wireless@wlink.com.np
www.wlink.com.np

snalbh> Krishna wrote:

snalbh>  Hi,
snalbh>       I have been trying to install syslog-ng and during this phase I got
snalbh>  lot of error's.After installing libol I tried to install but thus time i
snalbh>  gave the path to where libol-config was. I got the binary file
snalbh>  syslog-ng   in the src directory.
snalbh>  But when I do make install it says "noting to be done in this directory"
snalbh>  and quit.
snalbh>  I am not getting syslog-ng.conf in the /etc.There is no directory of
snalbh>  syslog-ng in the /etc directory
snalbh>  Please Help
snalbh>  Any help would be appreciated

snalbh>  regards
snalbh>  Krishna Shekhar
snalbh>  Network Administrator
snalbh>  Wiplash.com

snalbh>  http://wiplash2000.com

snalbh>  _______________________________________________

snalbh> --__--__--

snalbh> Message: 2
snalbh> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:00:55 +0545
snalbh> From: wireless <wireless@wlink.com.np>
snalbh> Reply-To: wireless <wireless@wlink.com.np>
snalbh> Organization: Worldlink Communnications
snalbh> To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
snalbh> Subject: [syslog-ng]to receive log messages from    remote terminals.
snalbh> Reply-To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu

snalbh> Hello syslog-ng,

snalbh>   What should I fix in the conf file to receive log messages from
snalbh>   remote terminals.

snalbh> Best regards,
snalbh>  wireless                          mailto:wireless@wlink.com.np

snalbh> --__--__--

snalbh> Message: 3
snalbh> From: "Ohrberg, Mick" <Mick.Ohrberg@umb.com>
snalbh> To: "'syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu'" <syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu>
snalbh> Subject: RE: [syslog-ng]INSTALLATION PROBLEM <Can't get /etc/syslog-ng/sys
log-ng.conf>>PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
snalbh> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:35:36 -0600
snalbh> charset="iso-8859-1"
snalbh> Reply-To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu

snalbh> Krishna,

snalbh> If there is no /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf, I suggest you create one.

snalbh>         /Mick

snalbh> syslog-ng maillist  -  syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu

snalbh> --__--__--

snalbh> Message: 4
snalbh> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:49:18 -0500
snalbh> From: "Paul C. Williamson" <pwilliamson@mandtbank.com>
snalbh> To: <syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu>
snalbh> Subject: [syslog-ng]Accepting messages from all devices (including Cisco)
snalbh> Reply-To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu

snalbh> Ok, now that I've got it installed and running (thanks to all who
snalbh> helped)...I have yet another question.

snalbh> When starting syslog-ng (I'm on RedHat 7.2), it just reports that it
snalbh> is starting Kernel Logger, but never reports that syslog-ng started.
snalbh> Is this normal?

snalbh> What am I missing?  I modified the init.d script for syslog-ng and put it in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory, and put syslog-ng.conf.RedHat into
snalbh> /etc/syslog-ng directory.

snalbh> I was also capturing all Cisco devices on my network with syslog, so
snalbh> I added:

snalbh> destination ciscol { file("/var/log/cisco.log"); };

snalbh> log { source(src1); filter(ciscof); destination(ciscol);};

snalbh> To capture all the cisco stuff.  I did not modify the facility on the Cisco devices, but they are all set to source-interface loopback0.

snalbh> Any ideas?

snalbh> Thanks,
snalbh> Paul

snalbh> --__--__--

snalbh> Message: 5
snalbh> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:30:12 -0700
snalbh> From: Brad Arlt <arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>

snalbh> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:57:17AM +0530, Krishna wrote:
>>      I have been trying to install syslog-ng and during this phase I got
>> lot of error's.After installing libol I tried to install but thus time i
>> gave the path to where libol-config was. I got the binary file
>> syslog-ng   in the src directory.
>> But when I do make install it says "noting to be done in this directory"
>> and quit.

snalbh> I am not certain that "make install" does anthing.  I have never
snalbh> bothered to run it.  Just "cp" the syslog-ng executable wherever you
snalbh> feel like putting it.  If you made libol dynamic, make sure it is
snalbh> copied to the appropriate place as well.  If you are uncertian whether
snalbh> you need to copy libol use "ldd" on the syslog-ng executable.  If you
snalbh> see libol in the dynamic dependancy list, then you will need to
snalbh> install libol.

>> I am not getting syslog-ng.conf in the /etc. There is no directory of
>> syslog-ng in the /etc directory
>> Please Help
>> Any help would be appreciated

snalbh> You need to make your own syslog-ng.conf file.  There are examples in
snalbh> the doc directory of the syslog-ng source distribution (or there was
snalbh> in the 1.4.x distribution).  You will almost certainly have to alter
snalbh> the samples, please consult the documentation to figure out how.

snalbh> mkdir -p -m 750 /etc/syslog-ng

snalbh> should solve your latter problem.

snalbh>    __o          Bradley Arlt                            Security Team Lead
snalbh>  _ \<_          arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca                   University Of Calgary
snalbh> (_)/(_)         http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~arlt/    Computer Science