[syslog-ng]leaking to consolde

Len Conrad LConrad@Go2France.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:56:26 -0600

>My syslog-ng conf file started life as the one that comes with the
>debian syslog-ng package.

mine, comes with FreeBSD 4.5 port of syslog-ng, emulates the system's
syslog.conf.

>  It has these console-related destination lines:
>
>   # The root's console.
>   #
>   destination console { usertty("root"); };
>
>   # Virtual console.
>   #
>   destination console_all { file("/dev/tty8"); };
>
>   # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the nsole' utility.  To use it,
>   # you must invoke nsole' with the -file' option:
>   #
>   #    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
>   #
>   destination xconsole { pipe("/dev/xconsole"); };
>
>Maybe you have some console lines you don't see?

vi's  /con   gave me nothing.

I have this:

destination console { file("/var/log/messages" ); };
destination root { usertty("root"); };
destination allusers { usertty("*"); };
destination pop3d { file("/var/log/imail-pop.log"); };

I'm working over ssh and can't see the console.  From what the client tells
me, the only stuff showing up on the console is POP3D lines that we don't
capture with our POP3D filter that grabs "successful logon account@domain
ip.ad.re.ss" lines.  it sorta sounds like the lines on the console have
nowhere else to go.  if figgered console to messages file would grab them all.

Len