[syslog-ng]leaking to consolde

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:12:59 -0800

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:04:20PM -0600, Len Conrad wrote:
> we have
>
> destination console { file("/var/log/messages" ); };
>
> and still we have messages from a remote mail server's POP3D arriving at
> port 514 that get logged to console.  Some of these messages we have
> written to special thats is tailed for pop-before-smtp access control in
> postfix, and they get routed and filtered ok, but some we that arrive that
> we don't care about nor filter for are showing up on the console.
>
> what's the trick to a completely quiet console?

My syslog-ng conf file started life as the one that comes with the
debian syslog-ng package. It has these console-related destination lines:

  # The root's console.
  #
  destination console { usertty("root"); };

  # Virtual console.
  #
  destination console_all { file("/dev/tty8"); };

  # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the nsole' utility.  To use it,
  # you must invoke nsole' with the -file' option:
  #
  #    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
  #
  destination xconsole { pipe("/dev/xconsole"); };

Maybe you have some console lines you don't see?
--
Nate

"C(++) is a write-only, high-level assembler language." - Stefan Van Baelen.