[syslog-ng]Re: Logrotate "remove_if_older" documentation

Michael Renner m.renner@inode.at
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:54:35 +0100

At 09:37 13.02.2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:07:12AM +0100, klaas.vangend@philips.com wrote:
> > > Is there also a function which compresses the "rotated-away" logfiles, or
> > > do i have to use the "find -mtime" hack?
> >
> > I added documentation in the patch I sent.
>
>which I added to the tarball under doc/sgml/syslog-ng.sgml

sorry, my fault, i only checked the documentation on your homepage, which
isn't updated yet.

>I would like to add too many extra features not strictly connected to
>logging to the base distribution unless I'm convinced :), which is certainly
>possible. The patch Klaas sent was small and clean therefore I applied it.
>gzipping old files would mean lookup up a directory listing, find the
>matching files, and gzip them... not too clean. An option which writes
>directly to a gzipped stream would be ok (and combining the two would result
>in something that you want)

I'm currently using $HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY logname-templates, so
remove_if_older won't work for me. I'd like something like the "find
-mtime" stuff which checks all logfiles (even the unopened ones) and
gzip's/rm's them if they're unzipped and not modified for a day/if they're
older than a week, but that would be way too complicated and unclean for
syslog-ng, so better keep it out.

On-the-fly compressed logfiles would be neat, but (at least for me)
problematic if there isn't an option to tail them in realtime (is this
possible with gzip compressed files?).

best regards

--

Renner Michael