[syslog-ng]syslog-ng crash

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn@nmt.edu
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:53:31 -0700

I've sent my disclosure to Balazs, and I'm posting here about my ethical
viewpoint on bug disclosure.

I feel that disclosure is a good thing, but I also think that
good-neighbor ethics requires a private disclosure first.  The vendor of
the software needs a chance to address the issue and have a fix ready
before the vulnerability makes the prime time.  Full disclosure can
sometimes be a tool to force a vendor to fix their product as well.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology