[syslog-ng]syslog-ng 1.4.7 crashing randomly

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:55:59 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:05:43AM -0700, Adam Steffes wrote:
> I'm running syslog-ng 1.4.7 on a Solaris 7 machine which acts as a middleman
> for my production servers and main log repository server.  It crashes
> without warning, without logging any problems beforehand, and often requires
> several attempts at restarts before staying up. Time between crashes seems
> random; it will go for a few days, die, require ten restarts in five minutes
> to keep it up, then run for another week before having any problems.
>
> 'gdb' says it's dying from a SIGKILL but I don't have anything running on
> the machine that would send it any such flags.
>
> Any ideas what is going on here?
>
> I found two messages in the archives from Oct. 2001 asking similar
> questions, but no resolutions:
>
> Nicholas Berry nberry@ragingwire.com
> Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:10:13 -0700
>
>   a.. I too am having the same issue with crashing under Solaris 8 with
>   syslog-ng 1.5.10, but my crashes happen several hours between each
>   other.

you might try to upgrade to a decent 1.4.15 first.

SIGKILL usually indicates that syslog-ng killed itself via abort() (it uses
SIGABRT on Linux, but that might not exist on Solaris, or it simply does it
differently)