[syslog-ng]Installing on a non-compiler system

Gregor Binder Gregor.Binder@sysfive.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:40:00 +0200

Msg from Clausing, James A (Jim), SOLCM:

Hi,

> 	I build packages to do this all the time (the only way I'll do it).

Packages are definitely the "right" way to do it. I have built syslog-ng
packages for OpenBSD, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX, and I think it makes
sense for every sysadmin to learn how to build pkg's for the OS he uses.
It's a real improvement in terms of security, debugging and what not if
the exact same software distribution is installed on each system.

Another "quick and dirty" way would be:

  touch /tmp/TIMESTAMP
  sleep 2	# to be safe
  sudo make install
  sleep 2	# to be safe
  find /etc /usr -newer /tmp/TIMESTAMP > /tmp/FILELIST
  tar cpf /tmp/binarydist.tar /tmp/FILELIST
  for i in `cat /tmp/FILELIST`; do
    tar rpf /tmp/binarydist.tar $i
  done

Actually this is also very useful if you want to build packages from files
installed into / vs. a seperate install-root.

Regards,
  Gregor.