[syslog-ng]Random Directories

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:56:03 -0700

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:51:43PM +0100, Tom Horan wrote:
> I had a similar problem on my host creating a 'last' directory. So I chan=
ged
> keep_hostname to (no), afaik this means that syslog-ng adds the hostname
> into the message incase the sending server hasnt done it. It started logg=
ing
> these type of messages to the correct server.

This is the best solution using a syslog-ng feature, but still not good
enough for me:

"Sep 14 12:21:58 last message repeated 17 times"=20

becomes:

"Sep 14 12:21:58 DNS_HOSTNAME message repeated 17 times"

I hate losing any part of the message. In this case it's just "last",=20
in other cases the first word is more important (beginning of the
program name for example).=20

I actually wrote a proxy that fixes known bad messages like "last message=
=20
repeated" and some others that are specific to some commercial software
we run at work. Since I know what logs I want to fix, I fix them. Gotta=20
love perl.

If I knew C I'd look at how I could help out syslog-ng with this issue :(
--=20
"Windows 95 /n./ 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of
competition."=20

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ--