[syslog-ng]Random Directories

Tom Horan thos@esat.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:51:43 +0100

I had a similar problem on my host creating a 'last' directory. So I changed
keep_hostname to (no), afaik this means that syslog-ng adds the hostname
into the message incase the sending server hasnt done it. It started logging
these type of messages to the correct server.

Hope it helps,

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Nate Campi [mailto:nate@campin.net]
Sent: 24 April 2002 18:47
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]Random Directories

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:32:20AM -0700, Painter, Jennifer wrote:
> Directories with names like "  Error", " SCSI", ","
>
> Are showing up in the directory that holds the syslogs for the different
hosts that we monitor.

> Has anyone seen these random directories.  Any suggestions on how to deal
with them.

I archive by host, but syslog-ng can only do so much with certain
messages.

 [root@loghost last]# cat
/var/log/HOSTS/last/local2/2001/09/14/local220010914
 Sep 14 12:21:58 last message repeated 17 times
 Sep 14 12:21:58 last message repeated 17 times
 Sep 14 12:21:58 last message repeated 17 times
 Sep 14 12:21:58 last message repeated 17 times

Obviously I have no host named "last", syslog-ng can't second guess the
hostname sent when it could be valid.

I want a macro taken from gethostbyaddr() instead of from the message
contents that could be used to force a valid hostname no matter what.

Baszi, could this be done please? It would help all of us who use
syslog-ng for log archiving in the filesystem.
--
Linux is like an indian's tent:
No gates, no windows, and apache inside.