[syslog-ng]syslog-ng

Michael Earls Michael.Earls@chmcc.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:17:31 -0400

The reason I want it to log to a database is that I have over 100
routers and switches in different cities, I want a central Syslog
server, I want all of techs in each city to be able to view the Syslog
messages from a web browser anywhere.  The only way I know to do this is
have Syslog log to some database then have php/perl search from the web.

What is the best way for me to do this with Syslog-ng?

thanks

michael

	-----Original Message-----
From: bazsi@balabit.hu
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 4:55 AM
To: <syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu>
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]syslog-ng

	On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:38:03AM  0500, Michael Earls wrote:
> Will syslog ng ever be native to log to mysql or any other type of
> external database?

	I don't understand what the problems with using an external
program for such
purpose are. Simply write a 10 line long perl script where you can even
preprocess messages before they go to the database, and feed this script

with a pipe/program destination.

	Adding support for pgsql/mysql/sybase/whatever into syslog ng is
bloat in my
opinion.

Bazsi
PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C 0944 9CFD 804E C82C
8EB1