[syslog-ng]Is there a way to define message priority for syslog-ng?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:03:48 +0200

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 06:36:01PM +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2002-04-01 09:43:24 -0500, Antai Ning wrote:
> > Here is my question, can syslog-ng handle syslog messages based on priority?
> >
> > My application is capturing syslog messages from multiple network devices and
> > tcp those relevant to another program to process them. Since all the messages
> > are put in an output queue, urgent messages still have to wait their turn to be
> > sent out which is very slow sometime. I just wandering if there is a way to
> > configure syslog-ng to process syslog on a priority bases.
>
> You can put them on different "queues" (pipes, TCP/UDP-Sockets, ...)
> based on priority. This will allow syslog messages with higher priority
> to "overtake" messages with lower priority, but only if no queue
> actually fills up. If syslog-ng blocks trying to write on any queue it
> will block as a whole (using TCP for high-priority queues and UDP for
> low-priority queues might mitigate this).

syslog-ng will not block on TCP destinations. it fetches messages and sends
them on to the buffers of different destinations, and flushes those buffers
when appropriate (e.g. the socket becomes writable)