[syslog-ng]Is there a way to define message priority for syslog-ng?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-syslog-ng@hjp.at
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:36:01 +0200

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On 2002-04-01 09:43:24 -0500, Antai Ning wrote:
> Here is my question, can syslog-ng handle syslog messages based on priori=
ty?
>=20
> My application is capturing syslog messages from multiple network devices=
 and
> tcp those relevant to another program to process them. Since all the mess=
ages
> are put in an output queue, urgent messages still have to wait their turn=
 to be
> sent out which is very slow sometime. I just wandering if there is a way =
> configure syslog-ng to process syslog on a priority bases.

You can put them on different "queues" (pipes, TCP/UDP-Sockets, ...)
based on priority. This will allow syslog messages with higher priority
to "overtake" messages with lower priority, but only if no queue
actually fills up. If syslog-ng blocks trying to write on any queue it
will block as a whole (using TCP for high-priority queues and UDP for
low-priority queues might mitigate this).

	hp

--=20
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    |
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | In case of emergency break laws of physics.
| |   | hjp@hjp.at         |
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | 	-- Stephen Baxter

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn--