[syslog-ng]1.4.13 HUP issues

Mark Borges mdb@jimi.nwest.attws.com
26 Sep 2001 11:37:20 -0700

>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:56:11 -0700,
>> Nathan Wertman(NW) wrote:
NW> While trying to parse my logs for some pppd information about connect
NW> times and such I noticed a really wierd problem.

NW> When software uses an openlog to open a 'channel' to the log, and
NW> when syslog-ng is HUP'ed (during my logrotate script) the process
NW> that was writing to the log no longer puts any information into the log.

NW> This bug has been fixed in the unstable tree but I would rather not
NW> use the unstable tree on my server, especially for something as important
NW> as system logging.

NW> Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, I'm seeing this in 1.5.10, too. I have a conf file that basically
contains,

  source s_tst { pipe("/tmp/syslog.fifo"); internal(); };
  log { source(s_tst); destination(d_tst); };

and when I HUP the process,

  $ ps -fp 14082
  UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY      TIME CMD
  foo 14082     1  0   Sep 19 ?        0:00 /opt/local/sbin/syslog-ng --cfgfile=/opt/local/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf --p

I see the permissions on the named pipe change,

  $ ls -al /tmp/syslog.fifo
  prw-r-----    1 foo  other  0 Sep 24 22:53 /tmp/syslog.fifo
  $ kill -HUP 14082
  $ ls -al /tmp/syslog.fifo