[syslog-ng]1.4.13 HUP issues

Nathan Wertman nwertman@esoft.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:56:11 -0700

While trying to parse my logs for some pppd information about connect
times and such I noticed a really wierd problem.

When software uses an openlog to open a 'channel' to the log, and
when syslog-ng is HUP'ed (during my logrotate script) the process
that was writing to the log no longer puts any information into the log.

This bug has been fixed in the unstable tree but I would rather not
use the unstable tree on my server, especially for something as important
as system logging.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a patch for it?  I have just begun
hacking on syslog-ng so this patch is a little out of my league until
I figure out how the code works, but I would like to get syslog-ng up
and running as soon as possible.

If you need more information please let me know and I will be happy to
provide you with it.

Nathan Wertman

                        "Those who will not reason, are bigots,
			 those who cannot, are fools,
			 and those who dare not are slaves."

	                          - George Gordon Noel Byron (1788 - 1824)
	                            (Lord Byron)