[syslog-ng]syslog-ng cannot run in Solaris 2.7

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:23:44 -0600

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:22:53PM +0200, Sander wrote:
> What hardware are you using and what compiler? I've got syslog-ng running on Solaris8/x86 with no
> problem.
>
> Sander de Boer
>
> 2001-09-04 16:51:02, "Shirley Siu (Utako)" <utako@sftw.umac.mo> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Sorry, this may be an already answered question, but I tried to search in
> >the archives and cannot find a solution.
> >
> >I have just installed syslog-ng 1.4.12 in a Solaris 2.7 machine. I started
> >it and it died quietly without any message. Then I tried the "-d" option,
> >and use logger to feed a test message (e.g. logger test test), it
> >immediately cores dump:
> >
> >syslog-ng version 1.4.12 starting
> >io.c: Preparing fd 5 for writing
> >Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> >The conf file is just the syslog-ng.conf.solaris file.
> >
> >Can anybody help?

I have compiled syslog-ng 1.4.12, using gcc 2.95.3 and Sun Workshop 6
update 1 without any problems.  All under Solaris8/sparc

I have also compiled 1.4.10 (and several earlier versions) with gcc
2.95.2 under Solaris 7/sparc.  Also no problems.

If you could run truss (or even sotruss) on syslog-ng and figure out
where it is failing we would have a much better chance at helping you.
This would work the best if you started syslog-ng with the -d flag.

   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)