[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng's memory footprint growing constantly on DEC alpha

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:28:15 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:14:26PM +0200, Wim-Jan Hilgenbos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have quite a lot of trouble with syslog-ng. More specific with the
> memory footage. It grows within a day to a size of over 130M after which
> it stops logging except for its own internal messages and then a short
> time later it dies.
>
> I have tried all kinds of combinations of compilers/compiler options.
> motivated in part by the unaligned messages and the former emails on
> this list.
>
> I'm able to get rid of the analigned access messages by using the native
> compiler, but I can't get a stable memory-size.
>
> My idea is that log messages are only partially freed. When I look
> at the core I see a lot of 'tails of logmessages' varying in length
> from 2 to 15 chars.
>
> The whole application becomes more stable and grows slower when I use
> the '-taso' option of the native compiler, which directs the loader
> to load the modules in 31-bit address space.

hmm.. interesting. I _hopefully_ found the unaligned problem, so you might
give a try to gcc as well.

to fix the problem you should change the first line in libol/acconfig.h:

from

#define DEBUG_ALLOC 0

#undef DEBUG_ALLOC

then rerun autoheader & configure. and check that olconfig.h contains #undef
DEBUG_ALLOC instead of #define DEBUG_ALLOC 0.

btw: the previous leak problem turned out to be an OS issue (the NIS+ one on
Linux), so this might be one again. Try to turn off DNS usage (use_dns(no)
in your global options), and try to get gnu malloc lib for your platform.