[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng's memory footprint growing constantly on DEC alpha

Wim-Jan Hilgenbos wimjan@xs4all.nl
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:14:26 +0200

Hi,

I have quite a lot of trouble with syslog-ng. More specific with the
memory footage. It grows within a day to a size of over 130M after which
it stops logging except for its own internal messages and then a short
time later it dies.

I have tried all kinds of combinations of compilers/compiler options.
motivated in part by the unaligned messages and the former emails on
this list.

I'm able to get rid of the analigned access messages by using the native
compiler, but I can't get a stable memory-size.

My idea is that log messages are only partially freed. When I look
at the core I see a lot of 'tails of logmessages' varying in length
from 2 to 15 chars.

The whole application becomes more stable and grows slower when I use
the '-taso' option of the native compiler, which directs the loader
to load the modules in 31-bit address space.

Debug output shows a stable number of Objects in memory, around 290.

I've used serveral versions: 1.4.8, 1.4.12, 1.4.13, 1.5.7, 1.5.10, 1.5.11
and probably some more (I'm not at my workstation now ;-<

We use Compaq True64. The message load of the appl. we're develloping
is rather high so we use syslog-ng exclusively for that application.
We don't use NIS+.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thnx in advance.

Wim-Jan Hilgenbos