[syslog-ng]what to do with syslogd

Baltasar Cevc baltasar@cevc-topp.de
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:30:01 +0100

Hi, Chee Chew!

> I am going to use syslog-ng for receiving remote host syslog. What am I
> going to do with the existing syslogd? If I turn off syslogd, will I still
> able to capture all internal system syslog?
You can get all local messages, but you have to configure syslog-ng
properly.
On our Linux system this does the trick for all local messages:
	source localhost {
	   internal ();
	   unix-dgram("/dev/log");
	   udp(ip(127.0.0.1) port (514));
	   file ("/proc/kmsg");
	};
Now I want to add a question myself: Is it the usual procedure that I have
add the last line ('file ("/proc/kmsg")') in order to have the kernel
messages processed (I thought that klogd would forward them to /dev/log).
Thanx for any explanation.

in hope to have helped you
bye.baltasar

::: B A L T A S A R   C E V C