[syslog-ng]logging from 20 hosts

matthew.hoskins@njit.edu matthew.hoskins@njit.edu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:13:56 -0500 (EST)

Yes, there are a number of solutions.  We log about about 58 various
Solaris/Linux hosts to a number of dedicated central logging systems.  One cool
solution is in your syslog-ng.conf:

file( "/var/logs/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOST.$FACILITY.log" create_dirs(yes));

It will create a series of dirs like above, also you may like:

file( "/var/logs/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY.log" create_dirs(yes));

One reason we like this so much is there is no need for external log-rotation.
Its all built into syslog-ng.  (Nice work devel'ers, we really like that
feature)

Other than that, just have a machine/network that can keep up with the log
traffic ;-)

-Matt

Quoting Dennis Kruyt <d.kruyt@zx.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> What sould be the best solution with syslog-ng for logging about 20
> hosts to one log machine and to sort them on that machine. Has someone
> done this before????
>
> Dennis Kruyt,
>
> ZXFactory BV
> Telefoonweg 44b