[syslog-ng]SNMP source and destination

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:03:00 -0600

I don't know if anyone has answered this, and I'm too lazy to look in
the archive.  But here it goes:

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:44:30PM -0400, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> I just installed syslog-ng as a syslog concentrator for multiple
> network management applications that feed off syslog. I need to do the
> same thing with SNMP traps. I tried simple source and destination on
> the SNMP udp ports and it does grab and forward but not in any manner
> that makes sense to SNMP listeners on the detinations.

Assuming you were using syslog-ng this make sense.  Syslog and SNMP
Trap are very different protocols.

> Has anyone done any work on SNMP specific sources or destinations? If
> not, is anyone else interested and can anyone give me a gentle push
> into the sources (like where the udp source/destination code is)?

I have, but since I am not a big fan of SNMP I used an SNMP Trap
daemon that turned everything into syslog traffic (decoding what it
could of those nasty SNMP OIDs).  This has worked well for me, as it
unifies logging into one resource.

http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

Another package, Scotty, is also quite good, and is written in TCL/Tk.
I don't have the URL handy.
   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)