[syslog-ng]destination { program(); } failures...

Gregor Binder gb@rootnexus.net
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:22:23 +0200

Balazs Scheidler on Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:06:01PM +0200:

> syslog-ng runs the program once, then feeds each line to its stdin. Upon
> reloading syslog-ng the program gets a SIGTERM signal.
>
> Apart from that the program destination should work well. I've just tried
> and it did work.

actually, I think apart from not being clearly documented, program()
works well :)

I have been using it with a script that triggers notifications every X
messages and/or every X seconds. This can be done really easy by
spawning a subshell, storing its PID, and using a sleep timer in the
parent. The child reads STDIN and watches the message treshold.

I think what most people think program() is for, is spawning their
script for every message, which is obviously not a good thing to do :)

Greetings,

--
 ____ ____
/  _/| -  >  Gregor Binder <gb@(rootnexus.net|sysfive.com)>
| / || _\ \
\__ Id: 0xE2F31C4B Fp: 8B8A 5CE3 B79B FBF1 5518 8871 0EFB AFA3 E2F3 1C4B