[syslog-ng]destination { program(); } failures...

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:06:01 +0200

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:01:05AM -0500, David Douthitt wrote:
> I've been trying to use:
>
> destination { program("/usr/bin/notify"); };
>
> ...and it doesn't work.  No error messages.  No log messages.  No
> nothing at all.
>
> Then I had a flash, and tried checking my hypothesis against the
> documentation - nothing there.  Then I tried checking my hypothesis in
> the example *.conf files - nothing there.  Then I tried it in
> practice:
>
> destination { program(/usr/bin/notify); };
>
> This works better, but only seems to work when it starts up, but not
> thereafter.  /usr/bin/notify is a /bin/sh script.
>
> Does this just not work in v1.4.10??  It's getting rather frustrating.
>
> I'm running in Red Hat Linux 6.2 without all the bells and whistles
> (like X).  I'd *REALLY* like to get this to work - it's one of the big
> draws to syslog-ng for me.

the line you quoted above is syntactically incorrect. I assume it's only a
cut&paste problem, it should be something like:

destination d_pager { program("/usr/bin/notify"); };

syslog-ng runs the program once, then feeds each line to its stdin. Upon
reloading syslog-ng the program gets a SIGTERM signal.

Apart from that the program destination should work well. I've just tried
and it did work.