[syslog-ng]DNS Caching

Thomas Vollmer tvollmer-ml@gmx.de
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:28:05 +0100

On Wednesday, 21. February 2001 10:57, Gregor Binder wrote:
> Gaël Roualland on Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:50:59PM +0100:
>
> Gaël,
>
> > I'd be glad to know what you think of it and if it can be intregated
> > in the main release (it might need some work to fit nicer than now).
>
> I think this is a very good idea, assuming you are in an environment
> where DNS caching helps more than it does harm :) Which should be the
> case for most distributed logging setups.
>
> You should definitely implement a boolean option for turning this on
> and off in the configuration file, and add directives for cache size
> and expiry time as well.

I implemented a DNS cache patch for 1.4.10. With this patch you get the
following options:

 - DNS caching on/off
 - Min. entries in cache
 - Max. entries in cache
 - TTL of entries (0=Use TTL from DNS)

At the moment it works fine on my Linux box, but I have some problems on
our Solaris 2.6 machines. I hope to fix it in the next few days.

Regards

Thomas