[syslog-ng]Filter enhancement

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:03:34 -0800

begin  Jay Guerette quotation of Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 04:28:24PM -0500:
> I have an idea for a filter function:
>
> I would like to filter messages through an external program, ideally spawned
> as a child process like the 'program()' destination target.
>
> This could serve 2 functions:
> 1. Perform more complex filtering, or dynamic filtering based on input from a
> database or other 3rd source.
> 2. Reformat the messages as they pass through the filter.
>
> A message could be sent to the external process via STDIN, it is evaluated
> and conditionally sent back via STDOUT. If a message is to be dropped
> according to the filter criteria of the external process, it would have to
> sendback a NULL character to syslog-ng as an indicator.

Of course we would like to have PCRE at our disposal for this filtering,
if we're going to go to the trouble to implement this.

Just thought I'd mention that.
--
Nate Campi        http://www.campin.net        GnuPG key: 0xC17AEF79
Key fingerprint = BF12 722F 8799 E614 33CC  FAB7 5A90 C464 C17A EF79

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.