[syslog-ng]Linux boxes periodically stop logging?

Dan Rich drich@employees.org
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, James Snow wrote:

> I apologize for the lack of technical detail in this post, but, for the
> moment I'm just trying to ascertain if I or my syslog-ng config are on
> drugs.
>
> Basically, I have a mixed array of Linux (RedHat 6.2 & 7) and FreeBSD
> (4.2-S) machines on which I'm running syslog-ng and logging to a central
> host. (FreeBSD 4.2-S)
>
> The problem is that the Linux boxes periodically stop logging. If I send
> the daemon a HUP, it comes back to life and data starts flowing again,
> but any log messages that would have appeared while the daemon was hosed
> are gone.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Make sure you don't have logrotate setup to run and rotate your syslog
files, or if you do make sure it is restarting syslog-ng and not your old
syslogd (I got bitten by this myself on one system).

The easiest way to check is see if you have a /var/log/messages.1 that is
newer than /var/log/messages (or whatever file(s) you are using for your
logs).

--
Dan Rich <drich@employees.org> |   http://www.employees.org/~drich/