[syslog-ng]losing messages using syslog-ng-1.4.7 & libol-0.2.20

matthew.copeland@honeywell.com matthew.copeland@honeywell.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:23:08 +0000 (UTC)

> > Sure.  I didn't reset log_fifo_size, since I was under the understanding
> > that would only be useful on the client side.
>
> try to set it to a larger value, the buffering in syslog-ng doesn't really
> differentiate between files and destination connections. so set
> log_fifo_size to 310*20 = 6200.

Okay.  I gave that a try, and it seems to help some.  Meaning that if I
increase it enough, I don't lose more than say about 25 - 50 messages at
most.  It's odd because I can lose anywhere between 1 - 50 messages or so,
and never get all of them under this test.  (300 thread clients, 4
messages a second, for 30 seconds == 36000 messages)  I would think that
at least once I would get all of the messages for all the times that I am
getting only 2 or 3 lost.  I can get all of the messages with a less
number of clients and more messages per second.  Any ideas?

Matthew M. Copeland