[syslog-ng]syslog-ng 1.4.8 released

Scott McDermott mcdermot@questra.com
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:09:43 -0500

Scott McDermott on Mon  6/11 12:01 -0500:
> > Here's the NEWS entry:
> >
> > News for the 1.4.8 release (11/03/2000)
> >
> >         Fixed memory leak in destination files (occured if you had
> >         several macro-expanded files)
>
> [...]
>
> > Scott, this should fix your memory problems.
>
> I just put it into production; I'll post back in few days (which is
> normally plenty of time to see the leak).

Looks like you killed it.  VM size of syslog-ng process has only grown
from 1500k to 1564k since then and it's only used a few minutes of CPU.
Before the fix, that would have been around 40 megs and several hours of
CPU.  It is possible that it still has a tiny slow leak (of 64k) but I
would imagine that is normal drift of buffer sizes with different
messages, etc.  I'll let you know if it leaks even a little after a few
weeks, but my guess is that we've killed it.

Thanks again for all your help.