[syslog-ng] A Bug and few sugestions..

Felix Meulenkamp meulenkamp@morelogs.de
Thu, 25 May 2000 13:29:40 +0200

Hi...
I'm running Syslog-ng 1.4.3 as a loghost  and on a workstation behind a
gateway... both RedHat 6.1

hmmm problems i've found...

'#' seems to work not correctly...
	i've comment a few things in my syslog-ng.conf... and if the comment
	was not at the beginning of a line.. i got a parsing error..

'#' seems not to comment out log, source, ... -statements....
	if i comment out the destination and filter rule for ppp from the
	standart debian example syslog-ng.conf .... i got a parsing error...
	saying something like... ppp was an unresolve identifer...

and here my sugestions...

what about ...say 'virtual pipes'.... or bracket rules...
	what i meen is... if you have a logingstatement like this
	log {source(src1); filter(f_1); source(src2); destination(dst1); };
	(this seems to work on my maschine... throu this is not documented)
	and you now want to filter src2 with another filter.... when filter f_2
	will filter both.... and not just the 2nd source...
	There would be something like a internal pipe helpy...
	So you define a pipe and use this to curving around the 2nd source and
	filter... or what would be even better... to create brackets around the
	2nd source and filter... so the filter will just afect src2....

customized macros...
	what about just defining your own macros... say like constants...
	for example you can define LOGDIR="/var/log";
	and then in a destination-rule it will sound like
	destination warn {file("$LOGDIR/warn");};
	....or just...
	FNW="not filter(warn);";
	but i thing macros an const have to be captalized by definition...

Felix...
ICQ: 5227897/samon007

PS:Thanxs for writing this great programm...