[syslog-ng] syslog and "...last message repeated..."

John A. Parker jap54@cornell.edu
Tue, 23 May 2000 12:49:54 -0400

A slightly off subject question. I've installed syslog-ng on a central AIX
server, setup to receive and process log messages  from all of the other
servers in our network. In our environment, we want to be able to watch for
messages of a common theme that might be coming from disparate systems. As
part of the implementation, in addition to simply logging the messages, I
have syslog-ng forwarding (through named pipes) all of the messages on to a
daemon we've implemented that performs the desired "collection" work. (In
addition to lots of other things of course.)

My question is this: Is there anyway to stop the distributed syslogd
daemons from aggregating messages? Having a message with the string
"abcd..." repeated is easy to track, no matter the sourcing system. Having
the same message from system "a", followed by some other messages from
systems "b"-"z", followed by "...last message repeated 2 times..." from
system "a" makes keeping track of message counts very complicated.

Thanks in advance!

John

---

John A. Parker        Senior Programmer/Analyst - AIX      Cornell University
jap54@cornell.edu   607-255-9356  607-255-8521 (Fax)