[syslog-ng] syslog-ng-1.4.0rc3: How to log the domainname

Joakim Rastberg jor@xinit.se
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:47:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

I just downloaded, installed, configured and ran syslog-ng-1.4.0rc3
and everything looks great! I have just a small question that doesn't get
answered in the archive at http://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/:

How do I get the domainname of the hosts into the logs? I ask this
as I collect syslogs from several nameservers for different domains
who all have the hostname "ns". One way would be to log the orginating
IP-address, but I can't find out how to do that if the host is found
in DNS (like -n in netstat would be fine)

A cursory look in sources.c around line 157 gives that the code
*removes* the domainname but I can't understand why this not is a
configurable option.

% uname -a
SunOS syslog 5.7 Generic_106541-09 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

% cat /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
source stdlog { udp(); };
source local {sun-streams("/dev/log" door("/etc/.syslog_door"));internal();};
destination auto { file("/var/log/$HOST.$FACILITY"); };
log { source(stdlog);source(local); destination(auto); };

/Joakim Rastberg, IT-Security Conslutant.
-- "Pioneer Preference" status and "Holder of Past Knowledge" in the DNRC.