[syslog-ng] Problems with syslog-ng use over a redireted port inside an SSH s ession

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:33:45 +0200

> > Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] Problems with syslog-ng use over a redireted
> > port inside an SSH s ession
> >
> > > I'm using syslog-ng over redirected ports inside an SSH
> > > channel and whenever I HUP syslog-ng, the SSH channel
> > > closes
> >
> > Maybe you should try to handle the SIGPIPE signal in your perl script?
> > though SIGPIPE should occur only on output, reading from a
> > broken socket
> > should result in an EPIPE to be returned.
>
> Well that's what I would have thought, the child
> process _is_ writing the socket but does not recieve
> any such signal (or appears not to..)  The child
> lives on and when it next writes the socket, the
> channel drops and then it dies.
>
> Netcat dies imediately when syslog-ng is HUPPED,
> which points again at the script of course..
>
> I'll capture the ssh (openssh 2.1) debug output and
> I can post the key bits of the script if you think
> it would help?
>
> And I'll add a trap for SIGPIPE.

syslog-ng closes TCP connections when a SIGHUP is received, but you can
change this behaviour with the keep-alive option.

destination all { tcp("loghost" port(1514) keep-alive(yes)); };

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt