[syslog-ng] Solaris and Syslog-ng & status report

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:43:11 +0100

> One thing more.
>
> >source local { sun-door("/etc/.syslog_door"); internal(); };
>
> I tryed with:
>
> source local {
>     sun-streams("/dev/log" door("/etc/.syslog_door"));
>     internal();
> };
>
> And thats what a i get:
>
> do_init_afstreams_source: Cannot open sun-stream /dev/log (Operation not supported on transport endpoint)
> Error initializing configuration, exiting.

Most probably you ran syslog-ng with unix-stream("/dev/log") or something
like this, which removes your original log device, and creates a unix
socket. Newer versions refuse to overwrite non-socket files.

This is how it should look like:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          27 Jan 13  1998 /dev/log -> ../devices/pseudo/log@0:log

btw: I suggest you to use 1.3.13. Lot of things have been cleaned up, some
features have been added, and it should be quite stable now. Debian Linux
has it as a package, and the only bugs reported were compilation issues on
Alpha and PPC. (and of course the recently reported bugs with the program()
destination) As soon as I've a little bit more time, I clean these up, and
release 1.4.0.

In the 1.5.x versions I plan to implement authentication and encryption
support, date manipulation (adding the year field for instance), an
inter-syslog-ng protocol (which uses tagging, so newer meta- and non-meta
fields can be added easier) and maybe rewrite rules to modify log lines
along the way.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt