[syslog-ng]keep_hostname directive

Longina Przybyszewska longina@imada.sdu.dk
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:14:13 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> > options {
> > keep_hostname(yes); use_dns(no); long_hostnames(off); sync(0); };
> >
> > ...and it shows the hostname in the logs as sent by the remote end. So I
> > decide that the loghost I have at work, running syslog-ng 1.4.10 should be
> > set up the same way. It currently uses reverse DNS to get the hostname
> > (I don't like the trust in DNS, or the possible performance probs if
> > there's DNS issues).
> >
> > When I stick that line in the conf file, syslog-ng only logs the IP
> > address of the remote host. This isn't consistent with how the host at
> > home runs with the same options line. Both are linux, built from
> > source. The one at home is still running 1.4.7 (I know, I need to upgrade
> > it ;)
> >
> > How do I make the newer verion keep the hostnames like the older one does?
>
> hmm... this part has not changed since 1.4.7, so they should work the same.

I have the same problem here with 1.4.9a upgrade - those options give IP
numbers insted of names even if /etc/hosts includes all involved IP ->name
entries. I couldn't find detailed reference to 'keep_hostname' option in
doc either.

Longina

--
Longina Przybyszewska, system programmer		Phone:   +45 6550 2359
Dept. of Math. & Comp. Sci.