[syslog-ng] problems with 1.1.15

Scott Dellinger dellinsd@jmu.edu
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

Today I had my first chance to try out syslog-ng 1.1.15, and I'm having
some weird problems.  When I send test messages locally and from another
Linux box via UDP, the "message repeated" lines seem to be random.  In the
following, the text of each message sent was "test".  There were a total
of four messages sent locally, and two from the remote system.

May 21 08:50:55 logger/logger syslog-ng[15831]: syslog-ng version 1.1.15
starting
May 21 08:51:00 src@logger root: test
May 21 08:51:07 last/kilrah message repeated 5 times
May 21 08:51:38 src@logger root: test
May 21 08:56:52 last/kilrah message repeated 3 times
May 21 08:01:07 src@logger root: test
May 21 08:01:07 src@logger root: test

It's reporting repeated messages that aren't, and not reporting some that
are.

Then, when I try to send a message from an HP-UX box, syslog-ng *seems* to
ignore it for a bit, but a few minutes later, spews onto the screen (using
the default syslog-ng.conf) many, many lines along the lines of:

May 21:09:19:28 logger/logger syslog-ng[15831]: io.c: do_read(): Zero
length read was requested

On the plus side, syslog-ng is no longer closing the UDP socket
immediately upon reception of messages from HP-UX...

--
Scott Dellinger
Systems Administrator,