[syslog-ng] Config file size and performance

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:16:28 +0100

>     I'm configuring syslog-ng for use on a central log server,
> processing logs from 60 busy syslog clients, and I've realised that
> without hostname macro expansion in the config file I'm going to end up
> with a file >600 lines long.  Is this likely to cause performance
> problems with syslog-ng when it's trying to compare each syslog packet
> against this kind of filter/action list, and has anyone else used it in
> a similar environment?

Parsing is not a problem, it's only done at startup. But having a large
number of "log" statement may degrade performance a bit. The message routing
part in syslog-ng is not optimized yet.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt