[syslog-ng] SIGHUP kills syslog-ng on FreeBSD 3-STABLE

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:15:05 +0100

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 03:38:42AM +0100, Lowkrantz, Goran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, it didn't help. Now it just dies silently, not even a work on the
> console.

It most probably fails to bind to 0.0.0.0:514, and since the configuration
cannot be initialized, it exits. I've installed freebsd 3.3-release, and
will check this out.

> The only thing I can see is that if I start the old syslogd immediately
> after syslog-ng died on HUP, I get the following on the console:
> syslogd: cannot create /var/run/log: Address already in use

syslogd doesn't remove the af_unix socket it is using to get messages before
opening it. You can solve this problem by rm-ing /var/run/log.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt