[syslog-ng] Problems with syslog-ng 1.0.4

Scott Dellinger dellinsd@jmu.edu
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> syslog-ng 1.0.x works stable as long as the config file is ok, but the
> parser is not the best one (it is from the original nsyslogd package, which
> syslog-ng was based on)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get syslog-ng to work correctly.
It starts fine and then 20 minutes later (the apparent default) logs a
mark (three times, to the screen as well as logfile) and then hangs.
Consistently. I have tried this under Linux 2.2.1 and 2.2.5 and -- with a
little minor editing -- HP-UX 11.00. Any idea what my problem is?

Just as a note, it runs under HP-UX and will handle remote logs correctly,
but the system's syslog() function seems to append a couple hundred bytes
of binary data to the end when writing to the named pipe /dev/log; I have
no idea what this data is for.

--
Scott Dellinger
Systems Administrator,