[zorp] Zorp slows down web page viewing?

Balazs Scheidler zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 03 May 2005 14:20:18 +0200

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 11:29 -0700, Joseph Kim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Zorp and other necessary modules on Linux 2.4.27. The
> software I installed is as follows:
>
> linux-2.4.27.tar.gz
> zorp_2.0.9.tar.gz
> libzorpll_2.0.26.24.tar.gz
> cttproxy-2.4.27-1.2.1.tar.gz
> iptables-1.2.7a.tar
> bridge-utils-1.0.4.tar
>
> I connected a client pc to one ethernet interface, and the other
> interface to the internet gateway router.
> And from the client pc, I'm able to view the web pages through the
> linux machine that has Zorp installed.
> But, for some reason it is very slow. I compared the speed between the
> pure bridge mode and Zorp. And, it appears that going through Zorp is
> almost 10 times slower than with pure bridge mode.
>
> Did I install wrong? Wrong version? Or, have I configured Zorp wrong?
> I would appreciate any help.

What do you mean slow? Zorp surely adds some latency but for a single PC
this change should not be noticable.

It is possible that there are some problems with PMTU, ECN or MSS. Those
might cause connection hangups. Can you post your configuration?