[zorp] Channel read timed out

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Jul 14 10:04:14 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 12:09 +0800, Zhou Li wrote:
> There are too many record like "(...http/client): Channel read timed
> out" in Zorp log,
> How can I disable recording the "Channel read timed out" message? any
> help will be appriciate

Zorp uses a 10sec timeout for the request line in keepalive mode and as
browsers sometimes try to keep the connection open for a longer time
Zorp times out and reports this in the error log.

You can manipulate the way Zorp logs using the --verbose (-v) and
--log-spec command line options.

The message above is reported on core.error(1), this you can find out by
using the --log-tags command line option in which case Zorp
automatically inserts the associated logtag for each message.

A log tag is comprised of a message class ('core.error' in the case
above) and a verbosity level which controls what level is required for
the message to actually be logged.

Once you have a log tag you have two options:

- change the global log verbosity using -v (default is 3), for the
message above to disappear you'd need -v0, in which case you'd basically
lose all logging
- change the message class specific verbosity level using:

  -v3 --log-spec core.error:0

This way you leave the global verbosity level on 3, except for
core.error messages where you set it to 0.  For more information on
logtags and the --log-spec command line option, see the manpage zorp(8).

The problem with the solution I proposed above is that you probably
don't want to lose complete error logging as other, more important
problems are also logged this way.

You could also try to increase the request timeout attribute in your
proxy class:

class LongTimeoutHttpProxy(HttpProxy):
	def config(self):
		HttpProxy.config(self)
		# request timeout in msec
		self.request_timeout = 20000

And use this class in your Service definition.