[zorp] Difficulty in installing Zorp!

Balazs Scheidler zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:08:12 +0100

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 21:32, Elwin Eliazer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Zorp in my Compaq desktop,
> running RedHat 9.0.
>
> Recently i upgraded the kernel to 2.4.22, from
> 2.4.20-6, to be able to use the TPROXY.
>
> I got most of the steps through. But i am stuck in
> getting the Python Ext class 1.2 installed, since
> there appears to be some compatibility issues, in the
> thread.h file.

I remember having a bad type reference in the pthread implementation of
python-extclass, try grabbing the source package from our pool directory
and recompile it for RedHat.

The URL is:
http://www.balabit.hu/downloads/zorp/zorp-os/pool/p/python-extclass/

the .diff.gz contains the patch necessary to compile python-extclass.

Alternatively you could also check out the extclass distribution bundled
with Zope, and maybe you can find precompiled binaries for your
distribution as well.

> RedHat 9 comes with Python 2.2, whereas the Zorp
> INSTALL file suggests Python 1.5 or 2.1. Can i assume
> 2.2 is ok for Zorp?

We are experiencing with Python 2.3 and it generally seems to be ok,
thus I assume Python2.2 is fine.

> RedHat 9 does not come with PythonExtClass. So i
> downloaded the SRPM from rpmfind.net, for
> python-extclass-1.2_1. I am getting build problems
> around the ThreadLock.c and thread.h file. I also see
> a ThreadLock.c.orig file, and the difference between
> the two is the way in which thread.h is included, and
> some definitions.
>
> I tried copying the orig file back to .c and then also
> i continue to get compilation errors.

Please quote the compilation output so we might be able to help.