[tproxy] tproxy performance

Ravi Valmikam valmikam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:15:04 CEST 2008

This is the setup:

There are 3 PCs.

1. Client
2. A custom TCP proxy based on 2.6.24 + tproxy
3. Server

All pretty high end machines.

Test sequence:

Step A. I send a data packet on already established TCP packet. Size is an
MTU from machine 1.
Step B. Machine 2 receives it and proxies it.
Step C. Machine 3 receives it and echoes it back.

We measure the on-the-wire time in and out of machine (2).

In pure ipforwarding mode on machine 2, we see 2-3 ms latency.

In tproxy mode on machine 2, we see 5-6 ms latency (additional 3ms).

I hope that clarifies the scenario.

Any pointers/help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ravi